Monday, April 14, 2008

A love life, or lack thereof

I'd always from couples with children that once you have kids, your romance level drops to an almost flat-line state. And of course, it's true. I blame fatigue. No matter how high my good intentions are to save a little energy for my husband at the end of the day, when our two hours of relaxation time come each evening I'm only up for mind numbing television or three pages of a book before I pass out. This really saddens me, because my husband and I were a very romantic couple throughout our courtship and first year of marriage. I didn't think "the curse" would happen to us.

We are trying to have a date night once a month to have some of that lovely feeling back, but even then thoughts creep in like, "Did the kid go to sleep ok?" and "I sure would like to get a good night's sleep. Maybe we should head on home". I've been making more of an effort to not let that happen, and try to totally enjoy being with my husband for an evening. Even if we stay out late - damn the groggy and cranky experience we'll have the next day! Is being groggy and cranky really that awful? The thing is, it's just a fact that your whole psyche is changed, and you can really never go back to the carefree, slightly wreckless time BK (before kid).

I'm afraid that if I don't make some effort to find some semblance of that time, our lives will be so humdrum and routine that we will lose ourselves forever.

No comments: